Friday, October 14, 2016

The Doctor and the Servant

I'm pretty beat at this point in residency.  Residency is a long, steady process of gradually getting ground down into dust and then graduating.  I go nearly 24 hours between actual, real meals and feel mostly dizzy and lightheaded and exhausted throughout the work day.  Any time I go to use the bathroom is some kind of rare opportunity.  Any time I finish any task, it's time for another task and I have no control over my schedule.

I went into medicine to serve others but at this point now I live out my days being pushed around, told to do this, told to do that, trying to feel like I'm truly making a difference.  It's exhausting to say the least.  I'm rarely appreciated for the work I do, and that's fine, I'm coming to terms with how thankless medicine is.   I'm hoping I can make it through the next few weeks.  Time for some rest

1 comment:

  1. I'm a medical student and I always revisit your blog from time to time. I hope things will get better... Stay strong! You can make it :)

    ReplyDelete