Monday, July 4, 2011

What equipment do I need to start medical school with?

Hey readers, and happy Fourth of July!  I have a bit of downtime and wanted to go ahead and answer a popular question that is on a lot of the minds of the lucky, hardworking people who will be starting medical school soon.


"So I'm starting medical school in the fall, what equipment do I need?"


Musts:

  1. Stethoscope.  Check my entry on here.  I am a way bigger fan of my Harvey Elite than I am of my Littmann SE II.  I think Littmann has a giant following but that the Welch Allyns are overlooked.  Be sure you get one with a bell and diaphragm!
    1. Note: I take blood pressure using the bell; you'll notice a big difference since the sounds seem loud and deep.  Plus since the bell is a smaller radius typically, it's easier to keep pinned on the elbow than a bulkier diaphragm side.
  2. Reflex hammer (not the tomahawk-esque ones, but the metal ones with the round rubber-covered end real neurologists use.  Reason being, you get a lot more leverage and they're weighted better.  The rubber tomahawk ones feel like they have more weight in the handle than the head, where you need the force to get transmitted).
  3. A pocket-sized note pad to write down tips, useful information.

Optional/To Consider:


  1. Otoscope/ophthalmoscope.  And I mean really optional.  All the clinics and hospitals you'll be in will have their own and these can get really expensive.  (Around $500+).  I'll be selling mine at some point, and they aren't really useful unless you're going to do volunteer work in the field or any place where resources are scarce.
  2. Penlights.  Optional until you hit the wards.  I can always see the need to check cranial nerves in a pinch and would be a great thing to keep in your coat pocket.
  3. Pocket calculator
  4. Extra battery for your PDA.  If you have a Droid like mine, especially!
  5. A little pocket-book for anti-microbial therapy.
  6. Hand sanitiser
  7. Notecards so you can make flash-cards on the go.  Useful when you're in a new setting and are getting a lot of information thrown at you to learn quickly.  "A tiger top tube is for what?"  "Wait, what is the red top for?"  It'll help you be more independent too.
Later when you start rotating you'll get a way better idea of what you need.  As I start clinics in just a few months, I'll let you guys know what works and what helps the most.  Happy summer!

2 comments:

  1. Also, scrubs! It's a good idea to invest in a pair early on, that way when the time comes to wear them, you have a set ready and waiting to go. Take the time now to find something comfy, as time will be precious when you start. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I'd also bring 1-2 large ziploc bags to seal up my formaldehyde-smelling clothes if I was going to keep them in my locker or carry them home from anatomy lab, haha.

    ReplyDelete