Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Photography: Holga, Diana, Xolaroid, and the Little Orange Box

I'm so excited to have discovered Lomography/toy cameras with cool effects on my own, although my brother and sister have been doing darkroom photography as we grew up.  I've completely had my attitude on photography changed with Lomography: it was hard for me to really take photography and place it on the level of fine arts like oil painting and sculpture because I always felt it was just point and click, especially with the advent of digital cameras.


400 Lomography style photographs later, I've really come to embrace photography: it's a form of art meant for those who have a love of the world around them.  I say that because us painters have so much freedom in the work we produce and we can change things here and there, but with photography you can't really change much regarding your subject.  It exists there in its most natural and raw form, and then you capture it as it is. 


 Lomography really changed my perspective of the world, and to me, is the most appropriate medium with which to photograph the most mundane of things: windows, mailboxes, scenes in the suburbs, trinkets from years past, just the little things normal photography can't make beautiful, moody, and meaningful.  I'll be sharing some shots with you soon, I'm so excited.  


Add some excitement to your life and go get/borrow a Holga or Diana, and you'll seriously see the world in another light!


No comments:

Post a Comment