Saturday, July 2, 2011

How should a pre-med or medical student spend their summers?

For undergraduates as pre-meds, the answer is easy: research.  I spent every summer of mine with a research internship I was lucky to get, especially the first one doing science research since I was a non-science major.  The thing is, so many medical schools are research-oriented, and I guess going more macro, research helps push medicine forward.  And that's what ad coms are interested in, people who will contribute to medicine and science, since without it, we're not progressing as fast as we could against brain cancer, diabetes, or cystic fibrosis.

The way I see it, ad coms want someone who is going to contribute to the medical school they are at, not just "take."  In my class, it seems like most of the people doing research are just interested in getting that ortho residency, but there are a few MD/PhDs who love basic science.

For medical students, I think it depends how long your summer is.  We get 1 month off as opposed to our mates across the street who get a full 3 months off.  Originally I felt, "Yea! I'm going to do some laboratory work!"  But then I was like "Yea! A month! What am I going to accomplish with that!" haha.  

I thought that a month would be great, but I'm already doing a research track where I graduate medical school in 5 years with one year dedicated to research with a half-day per week for clinical preceptorships.  I figure I'm set right?  I'm in no rush or race for anything, I'm a single guy running around working hard and with a whole year dedicated to research, a month won't matter much really.  Besides, what doc would take so much time and effort to bring someone on for just a month?  At most, I'll probably just meet with people in some kind of speed-dating type thing to see what lab I like the most and how the personalities of the PI and researchers are like.  Working in a very collaborative lab can be great!  

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy your summer: you fellow med students take it easy and be safe, and you incoming guys, don't study!  Enjoy all your free time because we'ven't got much from here on out, so carpe the diem!

No comments:

Post a Comment