Wednesday, October 12, 2016

How to handle a hard rotation

Everyone has been on a notoriously difficult rotation or a rotation that is really challenging for a lot of reasons (difficult personalities,long hours, not being recognized for your work, demoralizing).  Some have a lot more of those rotations in their future (like me).  

I'm going to be real with you and tell you I've gone to bed and woken up in the with cold dread about the work day.  It still happens. It's hard to deal with. I've been trying these few things:

Knowing it will end, and taking things a day at a time. 

Thinking about my future after that rotation. 

Looking forward to different rotations. 

Looking back on how I much I've learned and improved in my skills.  

Studying harder to impress with my knowledge. 

Looking at each new assignment as an opportunity to improve and get better and impress. 

Asking attendings questions that show I've been thinking and am interested. 

Blogging, creative writing. 

Residency is harder than med school for a lot of reasons and it gets pretty demoralizing. But it looks like things get better with every year because you know more, improve, faculty come to know you, and you get closer to graduating. 

I'm so exhausted every day but have a day off coming up.  Will try to write more then 

No comments:

Post a Comment