Saturday, April 26, 2014

A medical student's problem with energy

Medical school is when you start pushing your body to it's limits in the workplace.  University is a joke.  I always came home when I was a university student, I could go where I wanted, when I wanted.

Welcome to medicine, the world of mandatory meetings, and brutal hours.  The work is tedious, personalities may be difficult to work with, and your schedule is decided by other people.

It's tiring and not even residency.  Our friends tag us in photos because we can't make it to the party and we usually just see people via facebook.

While being in a relationship with someone outside of medicine is great, I started hearing things like "Now I feel like I can'lt have a bad day or say I'm tired because you get up earlier and work harder than me."

I don't really know what to say about that except to just reassure and be understanding and say that it's okay for them to be tired.  On the other hand, if you don't have to wake up until 7:40...I just wish I could sleep that much.  ONCE.

I can't even describe the feeling I have when I've finally settled into bed after working 19 hours and then I'm told to go turn up the thermostat or shut a door right when my muscles are getting their first break of the day.  It's almost like a feeling of despair, because it feels like the tiredness will never end, even when you're at home.

While my significant other says things like the above, I feel like I'm never allowed to be too tired or too busy.  I have to study a lot after I get home so I don't look like an idiot on my wards, so my patients can better trust me, and so I can get a foot in the door where I want to match. 

My partner has been great and so understanding, but maybe we're approaching the limit, the time where I need to make some kind of change.  Maybe we need a vacation or something together. 

Just so you don't think I'm a terrible person, I make the least amount of noise possible when I get up at 430am after struggling to fall asleep starting at 11pm, get my clothes I set out the night before so my mornings aren't noisy, I avoid music or making anything for breakfast that involves loud plates or spoons or forks or microwaves, take out the dog at 5am so they don't run late because of it, and I always say goodbye and kiss them before I leave.

For those interested in medical training, it really takes over your life, and once you've been conquered, it starts spreading into the lives of people you're close with.   I'm not sure if I'd recommend a committed relationship during medical training, maybe something low stress instead.   I'm just glad I'm not just starting my medical training.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man ... I don't think that there is anything wrong with you and understand that it is rough. I think I agree with taking a vacation or something together. Can you talk over, calmly, your issues? If this person can't take medicine life now, what are they going to do when you finish your MD? Seriously ...

    ReplyDelete