Sunday, November 3, 2013

how to eat in medical school and medical training

Weight gain is extremely common in medical training.  We usually skip breakfast because we have to get to the hospital early, then we get very hungry as a result and end up overeating, or eating a lot of high-calorie meals because we need something to hold us over for many hours of the day while we are extremely busy (especially on surgical rotations).

I've experimented with snacking a lot, which is very common on the wards.  There aren't a lot of healthy snacks in the hospital, or that you can bring with you.  A lot of us carry candy or chocolate for little boosts throughout the day, but I've found that cooking a really satisfying meal will hold you over for much longer and keep you in a better mood.

I'd advise small, frequent, high quality meals over snacking.  I emphasize the word "meal" because what you eat should have variety, be filling, and be restoring.  It's similar to putting gasoline in your tank when you're close to empty: instead of stopping at every gas station 1-2 miles before you run out of fuel, sit down and put more fuel into your body.

So what should we eat?

I personally feel that protein makes me feel adequately full for longer.  I also limit my total fat intake to less than 20 grams a day.

Fun things to cook and eat that I recommend are:

1. Mexican food like chicken fajitas/quesadillas
2. Italian food like tortelloni with a delicious sauce
3. Any type of east Asian dish, especially Cantonese cooking with steamed vegetables (I find it to be a great low fat, low salt type of cooking)
4. Mediterranean dishes if you're vegetarian
5. Salads, even!  Add a bit of salmon, tilapia, or chicken and healthy dressing.  It's light on your stomach and you'll feel great

Foods to avoid:
Sugary foods like candy, doughnuts, pastries, etc.

They're not very filling, and you might end up eating more and more of these high calorie foods and then feel gross the rest of the day (I call it "sugar belly," hah.)

Ways to add variety to your meals:
1. Fresh basil
2. Cilantro
3. Bring a container of fresh, chopped fruit
4. Bring a peach, plum, or pear with you
5. A little bit of shredded cheese like Parmigiano-Reggiano
6. Experiment!  Try to eat something different everyday.
7. Peanut sauce
8. Pesto
9. Tzatziki sauce

I also recommend bringing two meals to eat with you if you feel you're going to have a long day (being on call, etc).  Nothing boosts your mood and makes you feel better like food from home.

Bringing your own food to the hospital will make your days so much better, and you'll also have more control of how much calories and fat go into your diet.  Let me know how much better you feel after trying this!

4 comments:

  1. Hey ! m from India ...m quite curious to know about the life of a doctor ! what inspired u to be a doctor ? what's you daily routine like ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Anonymous, thank you for your readership.

      Long story short, I was inspired to go into medicine because I had a strong interest in the biochemical basis of disease, but after working in a lab for a while, I wanted something with more contact and I wanted to study disease in the context of human beings I could interact with.

      My day varies with the type of rotation I'm on, but I'd say a typical work day is from 6am to 7pm, 6 days a week. I usually come home and read until 11pm, then get some rest.

      Hopefully you find your calling, and if it's medicine, congratulations!

      Delete
  2. This is a great post! I have recently started bringing food from home to the hospital whenever I'm on duty. Much healthier and I save money too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I just finished working nights on the obstetrics service and I'm so glad I had nice meals from home to help make the nights easier

      Delete