Saturday, November 2, 2013

Tiring obstetrics days

Hi readers, I haven't been writing much because I've been so exhausted from working labour and delivery. 

I started waking up at 420AM and doing breakfast and a shower, taking my dog out, and making it to the hospital as fast as I can. 

At my institution, L and D is really busy.  We deal with every SVD coming in, induction of labour, TOLAC, and caesarean sections both scheduled and emergent.

Then, any downtime is spent repairing perineal/cervical lacerations, putting orders in, or doing tubal ligations.  It makes for pretty exhausting days, more so than my surgery rotation. 

That, and average estimated blood loss for an SVD is 300mL and for a caesarean, about 500-1000mL.

The delivery process is something that can happen so fast and you have to get it right or complications can occur.  It's like being a Formula 1 driver who has to take a hairpin turn at a high speed, everything counts.  Anyway I'll likely have more time to microblog next week.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment