Monday, June 17, 2013

Applying to US med schools

Hey readers, I hope you all are well. 

Application time to med school is well under way.  If you're applying again or this is your first time, here are some tips.

They might be controversial, but this is what I know as a 3rd year med student who knows the process as well as some programs really well.

1.  If you apply to a Caribbean school, you're going to have a hard time matching in the US, even if you're a US citizen.  You'll be considered a foreign grad and the odds will be stacked against you, especially if you want to match somewhere prestigious or want to do something other than primary care. 

Don't apply Caribbean unless you're so set on a career in medicine, you don't mind worrying about whether you'll match or not, and are okay with the uncertainty of prelim'ing.

2.  Apply broadly.  About 14 schools is pretty solid.  20 is a lot to me, but not unreasonable.  If your stats are a GPA under 3.5 and an MCAT under 30, apply to 15-20.

3.  Stats aren't everything but some schools beg to differ.  Shoot for a GPA over 3.5, MCAT over 30, and things will look good.  You need a good BCMP GPA.

4.  Have experience in medicine.  Medicine is tiring, draining, and there's a good attrition rate during and after residency, so know what you're getting yourself into.  It will help you find out what you really want, and give you something to talk about during interviews.  Avoid looking like you're going into something blind.

5.  Apply to DO schools if you want.  I think the lines between MDs and DOs are blurring as time goes on and there are DO-only residency spots.  The choice is yours.

6.  Apply early!  As soon as apps open.  I'd consider July as a late application, but it's okay.  My apps weren't processed until July because I was waiting on rec letters to come in.

Remember to relax!  This is a stressful process, but much less stressful than many other things out there. 

I'm available for free advice!

6 comments:

  1. can you please please tell me about the whole medical education procedure in USA after the 12th grade .... m from INDIA... !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! Thanks for reading my blog.

    In order to get into medical school in the USA, applicants need a high school education and university degree. You also need to do well on the MCAT entrance exam.

    During university (or even after graduating), you need to take the required coursework for medical school known as the 'pre-med requirements."



    Usually, the pre-med requirements are:

    1. General chemistry (2 lecture courses one semester long each, and a laboratory course)
    2. Biology: it varies, but usually more than 2 lecture courses, and one laboratory course
    3. English
    4. Physics: 2 lecture courses and 1 laboratory course
    4a. Biochemistry is sometimes required by medical schools for entrance

    It varies from school to school, and not every school required applicants to have taken biochemistry.

    As far as medical training in the US, medical school here is 4 years of training after university, but you can pursue and MD/PhD which is about 8 years total.

    The 4 years of medical school are usually 2 years of basic sciences (biochemistry, pharmacology, histology, physiology, pathology, pathophysiology, and so on). Then, clinical training follows (known as "rotations"), the required rotations which are:

    1. Family medicine
    2. Neurology
    3. Surgery
    4. Internal medicine
    5. Paediatrics
    6. Psychiatry
    7. OB/GYN

    You also will get to choose what kind of other rotations you'd like to do as you narrow down your focus before applying to residency (like an ICU rotation, pathology rotation, orthopaedic surgery rotation).

    Residency applications start during your 4th year as a medical student, and you interview in the fall season, and you then know where you will be going in March, or earlier.

    I hope I provided some good insight for you! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Thanks for writing all of this. Honestly, I wish I had known earlier about most of this stuff. I am an incoming first year medical student and am terrified and extremely giddy about orientation. Any tips on what to do and what I can expect?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Malvika! Thanks for following my blog.

    I understand how you feel; there's always a few things that come up every month that no one told us would happen or would be important, and I'm in my third year of medical school.

    I'd say relax during orientation and get to know some people during orientation. When classes start though, hit the ground running and be serious, because the pace gets overwhelming pretty fast.

    You'll learn a lot in basic sciences, and the key is to constantly test your recall. Keep up with your hobbies and do things that keep you feeling energized. Don't give up the things that fulfill you, because you'll burn out pretty fast.

    A lot of medical students burn out near the end of basic sciences, and then again in their third year, so keep up with the things you enjoy. Medical school takes a lot of physical and mental endurance, but you can do it!

    Find a balance, and keep it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for replying to me! I love reading your blog. I will keep your advice in mind. Chemistry has never been my strong suit, so I'm worried about the biochem portion of basic sciences. However, no point in getting myself worked up before I actually start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No problem! General chem was okay for me, only because I found out I'd get better at it if I did more and more practice problems in the textbook.

    As far as organic, I did problems in the textbook, and wasn't shy to go seek tutoring from some pretty bright upperclassmen when I was an undergrad.

    You'd be surprised how med school works though: it's a little bit more bigger picture (depending on your professor/curriculum), and more so about how much you can memorize and retain.

    I recommend flashcardexchange.com or iflipr.com to make flashcards, not only are you reading and learning as you make flashcards, but you test your recall as well when you work through them: probably the most important part in medical school and your future training!

    I wish you the best as you embark on a journey that will change your life as well as that of your patients!

    ReplyDelete