Monday, May 20, 2013

A medical student falls for someone

I've met someone I rather like, and get along with really well.  I guess you could say we're now together.  She's not in the medical field, which might be why she's so energetic and upbeat.

It's a little challenging balancing time with her and my training, but you make it work.  I think it'll be harder as the year progresses, since I'll be busier and taking care of more patients, and the expectations of me as a member on a medical team increase.

I just wanted to say that being single is good in medical school, but so can finding someone who complements you and encourages you to find balance in your life.

I think you know you've found someone good when you think of their smile and good memories of you two together.  I think you know you've found someone good when you feel happy that you make them smile regularly.

I hadn't really seen anyone regularly for years, and the first part of my medical training really got in the way of any chances of a social life.  But as busy as I get, I want to make things work with this person, because all of her displays of emotions are so genuine, and she thinks of me as a really intelligent, kind, caring person   She always comments on my smile, and spends moments just admiring me.

I also like how we can basically act like kids together, be nerds, and make jokes all the time.  I care about her a lot and I step out of my lazy comfort zone to go to the store and pick her up something so we can have a better time cooking or watching television.

I have my USMLE Step 1 coming up which I'm a bit scared and nervous about, but there's no way around it, and I have to overcome this challenge.  I hope she'll be able to handle me studying all the time and being a little nervous and anxious about it.  The right thing to do though, is just let her know what you expect, and for me to find a balance.

I really think that's the way to handle things.  Medicine is jealous and possessive, and there's no way around the challenges in the field, but the best people find a balance in time.

6 comments:

  1. I like how honest you are about how you feel about most everything. I am so happy you found this person, because your social life seemed a bit glum as you described it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Zamira,

      Thanks for your comment. I'm glad I have this blog as an outlet. I feel like a lot of other blogs depict medical school as a perfect world, when rather, it's really a world where you make sacrifices all the time, and are constantly under pressure to perform your best, leaving you with little time to enjoy things outside of it all.

      Things are definitely nice right now, though I will be starting a few harder rotations soon like the ICU. I'm a bit better about seizing the day and spending time with people I care about, though.

      I hope you keep reading!

      Delete
  2. Don't you miss a social life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I do. The problem is, in medicine, your job is to save lives, so you have to make sacrifices in order to be the best doctor you can. There's pressure to be the best coming from all over: from within, from the patient and their family, and your superiors.

      Medical careers are synonymous with sacrifice.

      Delete
  3. can you tell me what does USMLE stand for? and what is its meaning? I'm from Viet Nam by the way

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello and welcome to my blog. USMLE stands for United States Licensing Examination. They're also called "Step" exams in the US. There are 3 total USMLE exams one needs to pass to practice medicine in the US.

    I'll make an entry on the exams soon for you and other readers

    ReplyDelete