Sunday, May 12, 2013

To surgery or not to surgery

I'd say the majority of my classmates and friends are interested in surgical specialties, or types of surgery under General Surgery that require fellowship training.

I think my priorities shifted, as well as my interests over this amount of time since I've started medical school.    I used to be really interested in general surgery well after my surgery rotation,  but now I think I'm not that interested in it.

On my surgery rotation I'd go to sleep at 1030pm after studying, get up at 330am, read/eat, then get to the hospital around 530 or so, depending on patient load.  I'd occasionally run into the disgruntled intern working nights, but it was better when I didn't.  I liked how the information required on the rotation was mainly vitals, critical lab values, and imaging.  As opposed to internal medicine where you get in during the morning and have an entire H&P to read along with the entire lifetime medical history of a new patient, which can be overwhelming when you're rushed and have to give a top-notch patient presentation for rounds.

 I ran into attendings who told me procedures could get boring, that they'd rather have gone to school to become a physician's assistant (a mid-level provider in the United States), and a lot of commentary on how rough and tiring their residency was.  But I also ran into a lot who were very energized and positive.

The thing is, I don't see myself as energized and positive about surgery because I don't have a passion for the GI tract, nor ulcerative colitis, jejunostomies, the gall bladder, or hernias.  I think I should really daydream and love reading the surgical literature on those diseases, in order to have a happy residency and career as a surgeon.

I'm leaning more towards a career in anesthesiology right now, because there's plenty of literature to read on anesthetics and the care of critically ill or injured patients.  I'll be doing an ICU rotation next year for certain, and see how it goes.

I definitely recommend extensive shadowing at the minimum, or an elective/sub-internship in a field to see if you'd really like it.  The common figure you read in literature and hear from attendings and residents is that 20% of residents switch their specialty to start in a different residency.

I'm looking for something in which I can read a lot of material I have a genuine interest in (I actually get really excited in reading about ventilator settings and do different procedures.  I think anesthesiology would give me that, since it's closely tied to intensive care, and you get to do things like place IVs, arterial lines, and of course, intubate.

I feel like I'm closer to finding my passion.  Many of my friends who are getting ready to apply for residency are a bit undecided right now, so don't feel too stressed out if you're not 100% sure what you want to do right now.  It'll fall into place.  If you're still having a difficult time deciding, I'd recommend (after shadowing extensively/elective), to make a list of the positives and negatives about your potential specialty, and also having conversations with attendings and residents in that field.

Thank you for your readership.  I'll get around to posting an entry about my internal medicine rotation soon.

cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment