Saturday, February 10, 2018

Recently I "confronted" someone who kind of ruined my outlook on my training for a few weeks and who is a constant source of anxiety.  "Confronted" is in quotes because I did the resident thing of approaching any conflict like a submissive dog.  I worked with them a year ago and still remember that particular had experience, but this one is more recent.

I was humiliated in front of a lot of people for being slow and awkward at a new procedure, it just set that person off I guess.  I basically told them I felt really stupid that one day and I think I pseudo apologized.

Then they said it wasn't really me and that it was a stressful day and I'm actually not and idiot, that I work very hard, and I've been making a lot progress.

It made me feel better.  I approached them because I kept asking myself how many more days would I be anxious and how many more days did I need to feel afraid. 

It was a big step for me.  Medicine is complicated and there are so many personality types in the field.  I feel brave for stepping forward and getting closure about that situation.  I just wouldn't want that to happen to anyone. Everyone has a story about a time they were humiliated, had things thrown at them, or were in tense situations with other doctors.

So much of being a resident though is "rolling with the punches," and the culture is that you just take all kinds of verbal abuse, long hours, and brutally frequent 24h calls without saying anything.  The solution is either to leave residency by quitting or graduating from it.  There are professionalism committees but I guess they're ineffective or no one reports because recently a scalpel was thrown, in 2018.

I've also seen a lot of not quite so ethical situations and I'm sort of scared to speak up.  There are all these powerful people who let it happen and go along with it though.  I'm not really significant and anything I say doesn't carry any weight.  I just wish some things didn't happen here.

Just so tired and trying to get some rest now

5 comments:

  1. I hope I'm not being annoying. If so, just tell me to Buzz off, and I'll be a little bee and go. Anyway, I hope I at least make you smile once in awhile. You don't need to post anything I write. I don't care if you do and don't care if you don't. You have also helped me. There are so many things I can't share with people who love me, and I'm afraid to say to my team. So, thanks for that. I hope you had a great day today. I'm finally feeling better, thank God. This has to be genetic, too. I got everything my mother had except breast cancer. Boy, I loved her, but she had some bad genetics. Night

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you thinking of going to a fellowship program after residency?

    I'm so glad that you got closure on that. You wouldn't be where you are if you weren't brilliant. You deserve to be there. Good night my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was brave, and sounds like also therapeutic. I believe that even aggressors and bullies are acting that way because they, too, have issues and pain. Residency brings out the worst in many people! Once you get through and get sleep, a normal human schedule, exercise, and positive social interactions, it gets so much better. Hang in there. --former med/peds resident, recovered

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started a blog:
    https://terriestrong.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete