Saturday, January 27, 2018

I can't really sleep and I have to get up for work tomorrow.  A mountain of a day.  Smaller team but the number of patients more or less stays the same. 

I'm a little more tired after just scrolling through dumb twitter posts and reading the news.  I looked up some DIY lighting projects that seem like something I could take up.  I was a biochem major in college and took some extra physics courses.  Maybe I can pretend I'm an electrical engineer.

Now I feel like my eyes are tired but I could be up all night thinking, which comes close to happening pretty often.  I will go to bed, lay down, be tired, I'll close my eyes, but I just can't stop thinking.  It's not so much my mind racing, but just being active and going from thought to thought.  I'm jealous of people who say they fall asleep right away, I've never been able to do that.  I just think and think and open my eyes to look at the clock on my nightstand, calculating how much time I'll have to rest.

Sometimes I just can't sleep and I spend most of the night tossing and turning, blankets on and off.  I say to myself "well, sometimes you'll be up working 30 hours without sleep, and you get through it just fine.  You're in your own bed and you can get through the next day."  I've considered seeing a doctor about sleep aids, but I think I really need to get to the root of this problem instead of just have some kind of temporary treatment that might not even help.

One of the things I actually thing is undertreated is insomnia and disturbed sleep in hospitalized patients.  Hospitals are noisy, you get your vitals taken around the clock, then your medications given, then all kinds of teams seeing you at different times, putting stethoscopes on you and poking and pressing on you.  The stress state of being a patient is bad already, and losing sleep just worsens every noxious aspect of being the hospital. 

I was hospitalized last year for an asthma exacerbation late at night.  The feeling is awful, it feels like panic and terror and nothing can help you besides nebulizers and steroids which no one just keeps around the house.  It almost feels like someone is strangling you from inside your throat and lungs.  It was scarier as a kid and the smell of nebulized medicine and plastic facemasks is one of those memories cemented in my mind. 

I couldn't sleep in the hospital because I needed my breathing treatments to keep running and just having this air blow into you to open you back up is by default uncomfortable.  I was hungry, thirsty, a little agitated from being up all night and probably a little irritable from the nebulizer itself and having the mask stuck on my face for hours.  I had some attitude towards my nurse and felt guilty about it. 
 
I guess there's just a lot keeping me up and I'm not really about to wake anyone else up with texts or anything.  The bed is even my favorite possession and place to be, soft, quiet, and still. 

I've tried just about every trick to fall asleep: get out of bed and do a task or read, counting backwards, counting sheep (I guess that's a real thing.  I've only really heard TV characters talk about doing that), progressive muscle relaxation, special playlists to fall asleep to, thinking of absolutely nothing and just focus on my breathing, tea, sitting at my computer writing, just keeping my eyes open in the darkness and waiting for my eyes to get tired, and so on.  I use blue light filters on my phone and minimize all light 1-2 hours before going to sleep.  I have a sleep hygiene app on my Apple watch, which basically tells me I'm restless and not meeting my sleep goals.  I've even tried going to sleep immediately after getting home to readjust my internal clock, but that hasn't really helped either. 

I feel like after today I'd just pass out on the couch, but I just feel so restless, kind of restless but also detached and numb, and spent.  I'll just make some extra coffee with me tomorrow.  I usually will drink a cup of coffee the moment I wake up so it'll start having its effect when I get to my car.  I guess my second most favorite possession is this Zojirushi thermos.  Besides the cool name it does a good job of keeping things warm in the winter. 

I think I'm finally getting tired and less coherent.  Going to put on my metamorphical climbing gear for that mountain tomorrow. 

5 comments:

  1. I really relate to the struggle and am in the middle of it, so I don't claim to have the answers. However what I do think I know is that life is so much more than this, and you are so much more than those people, so you have to know that you can make a difference, whether that means in medicine or outside of medicine. I know what you mean about 'letting them win.' But ultimately, life is too short to worry about what other people think and too short to live in suffering for those people. Your time is more valuable than trying to please those people who are questionably worth pleasing. Good luck, I see you, and you aren't alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something just woke me up, too. Are you okay? Julia, is your name Julia? I had a dream that I was having a heart attack, panic attack. I'm old enough to be your mom amd I worry about you. Think about you and hope your day is god. What you go through is amazing. Just a few more months until spring and then you'll be free. You can do this. I believe in you

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter and I have pain--but regardless have insomnia. We've both found those gel microwave heat packs useful for drifting off too sleep--not too hot. Lack of sleep is miserable for coping in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also--your experience in the hospital--patients need people who have been there and can get the discomfort and empathize with it. My daughter has chronic illness and wants to enter medicine--I worry about her. And I feel bad for my sweet doctors (both female and male) who have been through the system.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I lay here in bed at 0408 And I read all of your posts I want you to know how much compassion and strength I am trying to send to you. I am just a nurse so I don’t know what it is like to be a resident but can tell by your posts that it is extremely stressful and others in the medical field are uncompassionate. Please keep blogging as this may be cathartic to you. Do you have family that supports you? I will continue to read your blog posts but want you to know there is a nurse out here that supports you completely and is sending you mom hugs. The medical field is comprised of ppl that seen to feed off of power and rudeness. Don’t let them steal your strength. You can endure. You are a good resident. You are safe. You are wise. You are compassionate.

    ReplyDelete