Tuesday, May 16, 2017

"Medical Training is a Tragedy Waiting to Happen"

I've probably not coincidentally been finding articles about mental health problems with physicians as a whole in my Google home page on mobile.  It's a bit weird, but also seems to make me feel like I'm not alone.  The article I'm sharing with you all is from the Guardian (not political, don't worry), discussing a tragedy of a GI doctor in Australia.  You can read it below:

Medical Training is a Tragedy Waiting to Happen


I know now medicine is a pretty trying "lifestyle," and I've met a lot of people who are divorced, and a few people who have switched residency programs, and about three people who dropped out of residency.

I hear from a lot of people that residency is the hardest time of your life, and from some people that it gets better every year.  Last night I was looking at non-clinical physician jobs, and might investigate that further.   I do have an enormous amount of university and medical school debt, however.

I've been reaching out to a couple of resident friends of mine about my situation and we talk some.  I'm hoping to have more consistent conversations with them.  I feel a little better knowing I have a support network to tap into.  I think it'll help me endure the training.  Something that's hard to endure really are some hard personalities and harsh ways of being spoken to.  I've noticed I'm a "pretty good resident," mostly because I have good exam grades and I don't have "disaster stories" to share with my colleagues.  I think partly it's because I'm so careful and am not afraid to ask for help.  I think the staff appreciate that.

Anyway, I have a lot to take care of.  Thank you for your supportive comments, they do so much for me and help me stay afloat in this long storm.  I will post all of your comments and reply to them when I have more time.  Thank you again, I feel like you are alongside me on this journey.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I know you haven't had time to respond to/read comments, but on the off chance that you do read this I wanted to share this blog with you: https://mindfulbalance.org/

    For some reason I find it calming at times when most other things aren't. Maybe it'd help you too.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm super glad to read you're getting good exam scores and handling patients well. Keep up the good work! It's good that you've reached out to your fellow residents to speak about your burnout. It's always good to speak to good friends about this too. I rush straight to my mother to talk about anything stressful happening in my life and her kind, loving advice and words of encouragement help me a LOT.

    ReplyDelete