Saturday, April 15, 2017

More burnout

Maybe it's my schedule over the past two months or just today, but I feel more depressed than usual.  It's the second time this month I looked up medical resident suicide rates and read information on the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention regarding physicians.  It says about 28% of medical residents have a major depressive episode and that male physicians are about 40%  more likely to commit suicide. 

There's just something really wrong about medical training and the culture in medical training.  I usually only have 4 days off a month and am discouraged to take sick time unless I'm intubated.  My schedule and the things I experience really wear on me.

I love my family and my dogs, and sometimes wish I could just run away with them to a different kind of life.  I love them and everything they do for me.  We live our lives just missing one another. 

I'm probably due for an inspirational talk or a day off.  I just want to be happy again. 

1 comment:

  1. I truly hope you feel better! Maybe speak with your mentors about this?

    ReplyDelete