Monday, January 23, 2017

Rough day

 I guess a good way to describe residency is a series of highs and lows, even in the same day.  I had a rough day and feel pretty bad.  I didn't hurt a patient or cause a delay in care.  It was just rough for some dumb reasons.

I used to think I was the only one having a bad day sometimes, but we all do as residents.
Once, one of my friends and co residents said he was made to feel so bad he questioned his career decision.

People should know we don't get much respect as residents.  Medicine is better than in the past when surgeons would throw scalpels and syringes.  One surgeon I heard of cut an intern with a scalpel because he "kept getting in the way.".   I've witnessed hazing of surgery residents and fellows and swearing in the OR directed at trainees. I've also seen demeaning insults casually thrown at residents during patient conferences.

I wonder how everyone gets through the discouragement sometimes.  


1 comment:

  1. Life as a resident can be tough, particularly in the early phase. Later on you learn to live with it and hardly bother. Keep up the good work
    www.mcqsurgery.com

    ReplyDelete