Sunday, December 4, 2016

A doctor's memory of punk rock

I recently started listening to a band called Oslo Ess I found through Spotify.  They're sort of a Norwegian hard rock/punk sounding band.

The energy of their music gripped me instantly and reminded me of all the punk rock I used to listen to growing up.  I listened to the Clash, the Ramones, the Sex Pistols, Cock Sparrer, and a bunch of others like Gang of Four, the Virus, the Casualties, the list goes on.

Similar to going through residency, my teen years were full of angst and I constantly searched for belonging and acceptance.  I wanted to belong.  I constantly tried to find out what really defined "me."

I found an outlet through punk rock in the bands mentioned above because  songs of theirs reflected what I felt personally and also had music relevant to political climate at the time albeit written a bit earlier about different things.

I'm revisiting punk rock again and it feels like the same outlet I had years ago.  I work hard constantly and feel constant burn out.  I'm incredibly disgusted with the way the world is: a world full of war, violence, senseless shootings, economic exploitation, the constant search for more meaning in life.

I think you'd be surprised at the depth of punk rock, especially from the UK.  Most people just paint a picture of punk rock as the music of wild people, destruction, a lack of respect, etc, but you would be surprised at how much of a message the music carries.

Time to study.  Going to bite the bullet an hour at a time every day this week and get through it.  cheers, readers

No comments:

Post a Comment