Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Bloody Footprints

I'm thinking back to when I did my first stat case.   The patient came in unstable and the anesthesia team was busy getting the airway, arterial line, additional vascular access, hanging antibiotics and blood, sending an arterial blood gas, getting the patient to the right anesthetic depth while making sure they were stable, treating hypoxemia, and making sure that the patient was had the right amount of surgical paralysis.  Scalpels went straight to skin.

When the case is over and you're moving the patient out of the room, you see streaks of blood on the floor, and bloody smeared footprints.  Imagery like that sticks with you,especially the first time you see it.

Being on stat and urgent cases makes me feel accomplished, though the stress and uncertainty can certainly be pronounced.  I need to get some rest now, it's going to be a long time before my next day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment