Monday, May 16, 2016

how residency has already changed me

I'm almost a PGY2.  It's not really until this point have I really gotten a good understanding of what residents go through, with the hierarchy of academic medicine, the anxiety, the blues, being up at night wondering if you've done the right thing for a patient, and so on.

I'm constantly tired.  I'm almost always hungry and thirsty.  I wonder from time to time what my attendings think about me and what they say about me when they talk to each other.  I don't get to use the bathroom whenever I want, and it gets pretty uncomfortable.

I miss my family a lot.  I go without seeing friends for months because of work, irregular work hours, having to study a lot, and lack of energy.  A lot of my money goes to paying off student loans and I don't have much money to spend on making memorable days.

I feel like a replaceable cog in the giant machine of academic medicine.  I understand that I don't have a full medical license and I'm still in training, but it often feels like I'm undervalued and I'm just someone to plug holes in a schedule.  People only really engage me in conversation if it is about schedule conflicts with work.

I follow everyone's orders despite my judgment because I don't want to get fired from the program because I rocked the boat.

I'm cynical about medicine and have thought about leaving the field several times.  I constantly hope things will get better.  I really hope I thrive in residency and won't only barely survive it.

I know the attendings have had a hard life of training and I envy how little some work and how many just are able to stay in practice because they're lifted by the tide of resident effort when they actually make bad or strange clinical decisions.

The days, weeks, months all blend together and my year is this blur of stress, fatigue, medical emergencies, and the rare moment of feeling accomplished or happy.

I have a little more self-confidence in public now.  It's kind of cool being a doctor and people outside of medicine find me interesting and think I'm a hero, while everyone in academic medicine just sees me as the cog I described earlier and everything I do is unimportant.

My time off is very rare.  My schedules are rigid and inflexible.  It's impossible for me to schedule doctors appointments for myself some months..often several months in a row.

 Often times when I get home, it's already time for me to go to sleep.  I miss a lot of meals.  I'm very nauseated in the morning from being so tired and the effect of caffeine on my stomach that I don't eat breakfast and I'm often lightheaded and feel bad until I get to eat.  My fasts are often from 8pm to 2pm the next day.

I settle for a lot of quick meals that aren't that healthy for me.  I'm unhappy with the way my body is and I've only now been able to work up the energy and motivation to do something about it.

I see medical students and hope they will be happy in medicine.

I wake up sad and anxious.  Sad because I'm going to be away from my family and my dogs, and anxious for what the day has in store for me.

I have moments where I hold my dogs and they're everything in my life at that moment.  I want more peaceful moments like that.

9 comments:

  1. I'm sorry its not going well. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll get better someday. Just gotta keep marching. Thanks for reading

      Delete
  2. Hi, I've been catching up on your last few blog posts and I'm glad I'm not the only who who feels the same way. I have recently started pediatrics residency myself and all the points you mentioned in this post hit home.

    Lately, I have been second guessing my decision to start residency and wondering whether I'm really cut out to be a doctor at all. I feel so insecure most of the time and I need to double check my chart orders with a senior resident when I'm doubtful. During my first month, I get palpitations when the staff nurse calls me for an IV insertion on a baby. And for some reason, I never seem to say anything right in front of an attending. I'm still trying to work on that part. I don't want my attendings to think I'm no good at all.

    On really bad days, I just try not to break down and walk out. I keep convincing myself that quitting is not an option. Anyway, I'm grateful to know that I'm not alone in feeling this way. Wishing you all the best in residency.

    Paola // Resuscitate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm a medical student from Poland. I was searching for medical students and doctors blogs from different countries. And what I can see... Different countries, the same problems. Now in my country residents are preparing manifestation in the capital city because of low salaries and other complaints - being forced to be on duty on other unit than they speciality (the have full medical license), a lot of hours spending in the hospital... And in my opinion there's no chance to change it.
    So I think you have to be a little bit crazy to start medicine ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lu. The situation where you are sounds like it's dangerous for patient care. I think I might be right to say the decisions in Poland aren't being made by doctors, right?

      At least in the United States, doctors aren't coming together to form a strong enough voice and stand up for themselves. I wish it was different.

      We need to step up and become the leaders that are needed!

      Delete
  4. Hello, i am a belgian medical student in her 4th. I have been reading your blog for quite a while now. You didn't post anything for a while now. And truth to be told, I am worried about you. You are without any doubt in a burn-out state. I am probably naive to ask such a thing, but is it possible for you to take a break? Is it possible to have some free time (2days minimum) to rest ? They won't get you out of the program because of that, right ? If it is not possible, i hope you will get through all this soon! Keep up! :D E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Unknown. Thanks for your readership. As of writing this post I've been working 11 days straight without a break and most of my work weeks average 80 hours. It feels a lot longer when you're on a rotation you don't like.

      At least in the US during residency it's very hard to take time off unless it's an emergency (even then, you need documentation from a doctor if its greater than 2 days). There's a big culture of exploitation of residents here and I'm not sure how it can be fixed. It's better than it used to be, based on stories from older doctors.

      I'll have my first day off in 2 weeks coming up, and it'll be really nice.

      I survive residency a lot like pretending I'm a soldier. I carry mementos with me that remind me of home and happier times, and I make sure I always pack plenty of good food, coffee, and tea. I tell myself I'll graduate residency someday, and that keeps me going.

      I'm optimistic for the next year even though it'll be challenging, but I'm glad I'll be doing something I've enjoyed doing and have a genuine interest in. Thank you for reading!

      Delete
    2. Im happy to see that you survive very well :) I enjoy reading your blog, it keeps me up when studies get tough

      Delete
  5. Hi anonymous! Things will get better, I'm sure! It's just a long voyage.

    Hi Paola! Don't get too down on yourself. One of my friends who is a PGY2 told me she felt a lot of impostor syndrome and felt like she wasn't good enough as an intern and a resident, but she's coping well. It's hard for her but she keeps at it. I've had a lot of bad days in a row where I think people think I'm incompetent and clueless when I'm really just overwhelmed and pulled in 20 directions at once. I try not to let it get to me.

    ReplyDelete