Monday, May 2, 2016

Depression and low self esteem in residency

I make a joke that I don't really know what self esteem is anymore.  I felt sort of hopeless the past several weeks and unhappy with residency but I found someone to talk to who is about to graduate from my program, and I feel better and more enlightened after talking to them.

A lot of residents I know feel overworked, not very satisfied with their work, feel like interchangeable cogs in a giant machine, feel undervalued, and feel like they don't have a meaningful experience of being mentored.

Residency is tiring, the learning curve is steep.  It's hard being a beginner surrounded by a lot of experts who criticize you more than mentor and help you.  I see why so many people switch residencies or quit altogether.


Here's an article, if you're interested in a look at multiple studies on the following:
Prevalence of Depression and Depressive Symptoms Among Resident Physicians

I feel like the rest of residency will be clinging onto the hope that things will get better and that I'll feel okay and be valued someday.

2 comments: