Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Self care in medicine

So many residents are unhealthy, hungry, and dehydrated daily.  It seems like an endless cycle.  I just started taking every chance I get to go drink water or snack reasonably, after being a week on service.  We tunnel vision a lot and even feel guilty for taking breaks, but you have to break the cycle or you spend every day feeling miserable. 

It became "normal" for me to not eat, drink, or go to the bathroom for 8 hours at a time, but that way of living is so terrible and it impairs your thinking and morale. 

I used to think I never had time to take care of myself, but now my days are made so much better because I drink a few glasses of water at work or even eat lunch now.  Some services are busier than others, but you need to make the time to take care of yourself.   An army marches on its stomach. 

3 comments:

  1. I believe it not only teaches bad habits physically but mentally too. You are HUMAN and most of us would like some HUMAN docs. That means you understand that the normal person wants to eat and drink and pee normally and has thoughts and feelings. Denying those at times helps to give rise to God attitudes. Give me someone who understands what it is like to be human and know that a graduated degree doesn't make them non human. Its the common personal touch that I feel comfortable with.

    On top of that, I say thank you because I'm a really good baker and cook. I bring goodies. So please eat. I feel better knowing that people enjoy a little personal thank you for their efforts on my behalf and taking care of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right, I think it's partially a need for rituals. I noticed I sort of 'think' better when I stick to a ritual in the morning - it used to be a breakfast, than just a coffee, now I am trying 10 mins of stretching instead. Just that its regular matters.


    www.medicaljournalimpact.com
    (fellow med folks : ) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more. Some of my friends drink up to five cans of potent energy drinks in one day (and we're only in second year!) and they're becoming reliant on them which is incredibly unhealthy. Being in med school doesn't mean that you must totally forget about yourself - no matter how busy one is. I really believe that a healthy person is a happy person :)

    ReplyDelete