Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Dealing with stress early on in medical school

Many of you will be applying for medical school this summer, and many of you are well into your basic sciences.  As everyone can tell you, medical school brings with it a lot of academic pressure and stress.

In my experience, it has been the most stress from academics I've ever experienced in my life. Easily about twice that of university.  If I could estimate how much work it is, I'd say I was studying or in class for 120 hours a week during basic sciences.  I was pretty stressed the entire time too.

Here is some advice to help you deal with the stress:

1.  Eat right.  Not just square meals, but watch your calorie intake.  So much studying leads to inactivity and it's even more stressful when you're gaining weight.

2.  Cardio exercise.  Even if it's 15 minutes a day.  It'll help boost your mood and be a good distraction.  Treat exercise like it's not an option.

3.  Either avoid or join other med students.  Find what's best for you.  I studied on my own because other medical students stressed me out with their own stress, and I felt better just studying at my own pace.  I scored above average on nearly every basic sciences exam because I did what was right for me, not what Jack or Princess Rapunzel said was the best study strategy.

4.  Make friends with an upperclassman.  They've been through it and will usually be helpful and encouraging.

5.  Find a mentor or role model among the faculty.  They're someone to talk to and it's a boost for your morale if you have something to aspire to.

6.  Wake up earlier so you have some time to listen to music, do something enjoyable, and eat. You won't be getting a lot of time for yourself or for moments of quiet once you start medical school.  I think this can help you stay balanced for the most part, because medicine is a grind (and I haven't even started the most intense part).

7. Eat dinner with your significant other or friends.  Meal time is a time to bond and relax.  Just about everyone needs a sense of community and companionship.

8.  Don't complain, don't stress too much, and know that you'll get past it.  Studying and exams is not as stressful as performing surgery or working in a busy ICU with very sick patients.

9.  Youtube.  Really.  Find funny videos and take breaks.  While humour won't stop ventricular fibrillation, it'll help you cope with stress and remind you that you're not an emotionless study robot.  I really recommend the Key of Awesome for their great parodies of pop music.

Good luck to you all.  Feel free to comment with any questions or concerns.  I hope to be your guide in your medical training.  cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment