Saturday, February 22, 2014

Caffeine before exercise may be harmful

So there's a lot of literature on caffeine and the cardiovascular effects.   I've included a review and I encourage you to read more scientific literature on it (not anecdotes from websites with photos of really muscular dudes on them).  

I thought taking caffeine before running was stupid when I read that it can cut up to 20% of coronary blood flow to your heart (that's the blood your heart muscle needs to work and survive).  

It's also thought to increase the work your heart has to do by working as an adenosine antagonist (adenosine is very important in coronary blood flow autoregulation).  

Also be wary of caffeine pills.  I wasted money on some and stopped taking them because I have no way to know what certifications or protocols the manufacturers adhere to.  Better safe than sorry.

Don't put things in your body if you don't know it's safe and don't waste money on detox garbage because your kidneys and liver are amazing at detoxification already.

Here's a review for now from the National Institute of Health site called pubmed. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23764265

No comments:

Post a Comment