Monday, August 5, 2013

Good habits on Internal Medicine and Family Medicine

Hey readers,

Thanks for following my blog.  I'm a couple of weeks into my family medicine rotation and have really hit the ground running.  I think what has been helpful is my internal medicine rotation in particular, where you get sent out to interview and work up a new patient (which tend to be more complicated than the typical outpatient).

I felt too busy on my IM rotation to look up side-effects of drugs, and actually wasn't quizzed on them too much.  But oftenly, I think back to the Chief of Medicine when he said to the interns on the team "Your job as an intern is to learn every side-effect of every medicine."

On my family rotation I've had more time to study up on the side-effects of medicines, and it really became clear how useful it can be when I was taking care of a psych patient today.

It's often too easy to treat things symptomatically, like a dry mouth.  But then I was thinking "well, why is this patient without diabetes drinking so much water?  Yes, they have this certain psychiatric diagnosis but..."

So I consulted one of my pocket books and saw that this medication they were on was associated with about 3 kinds of complaints: xerostomia, dizziness, fatigue.  We ended up decreasing their dose of it, and encouraging to take one of the newer medicines they hadn't started yet (both medicines work synergistically).

I think you move up to practicing a higher level of medicine when you're taking into consideration every side effect, not just the obvious ones.

Polypharmacy becomes a really important aspect of geriatric medicine and psychiatry, so definitely read up on the side effects of every medicine you prescribe.  It's never too early to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment