Sunday, July 28, 2013

Learning to say "I love you"

I have a few moments to reflect before I read a bit and try to get rested up for my family medicine rotation that begins tomorrow.

It's been a highly eventful year.  I worked hard in the hospital, worked long hours doing research, and will have my name on 8 publications, 5 of them being first author.

I've had friends graduate medical school and go on to start their intern year, and it's been enjoyable seeing them do well.

I've changed my career direction to something in medicine I think will make me happier.

I've also found someone special I've been with for around 5 months or so now.  It's one of those things where I'm really glad I chose to pursue things instead of deciding to keep looking.  I've never felt so loved and appreciated before, and it's really nice being the best to them and doing little things like packing them a lunch for work.  I really enjoy keeping making her happy and feel loved.  It took me a while to tell her I love her, mainly because it was a big thing to me and took a little bit of courage.

She understands med school keeps me busy and that she doesn't want to get in my way of studying or preparation, which I really like.  I really enjoy and need that space, but I also want to keep making her feel included and welcome.

I'm glad I have my family medicine rotation right now, and not something like orthopedic surgery or heme/onc, or trauma surgery.  I think my schedule will be flexible (no weekends!) so we can make dinner plans or things like movie nights.  I've also felt like age is starting to catch up on me.  I'm no longer the young 20 year old guy who could stay up for a couple of days straight working on a research project to beat a deadline.  I definitely need more rest and exercise these days.

Medical school may seem like it's for the single, but having someone special can really motivate you to study more efficiently and serve as an important source of support.

I still have many major exams coming up as well as applying for residency, but I'm really determined to make things work.  I'm happy I'm not applying for something super competitive, and I really don't know how couples manage when of them is applying for something like dermatology and the other is already in residency.  A lot of relationships in medical school tend to just start up without too much thought to the long-term, and I'm personally glad that isn't the case with me.

I'll be writing more frequently now since there's more going on.  If you have any questions about medical school, any aspect at all, feel free to contact me on my blog.

cheers


2 comments:

  1. Family medicine rotation does give you free time! :) I'm glad you found someone special and that everything seems to be fine. In my experience, being in med school and being in a relationship with someone not in the medical field can get a little tough. But anyway, it's a case to case basis. :)

    Congratulations on all those research and for getting published! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Paola!

    I know what you mean. I've been in some relationships where I was perceived as "studying too much," but now I'm in one where my study time is very respected.

    Relationship advice to people in medicine is a lot like medical advice to patients: you have to take a lot of factors into consideration, and everyone has their own type of chemistry, needs, and priorities. Free time always makes things easier, though!

    Probably the best life balance lesson I've learned in medical school is "you'll never have time for anything if you don't make the time for it."

    I just started following your blog by the way. Good luck in your training!


    ReplyDelete