Thursday, June 16, 2016

public shaming in medicine

part of what ruins my desire to stay in medicine is episodes like this.

to keep things anonymous, I'm changing the details some.

It was the last patient to talk about on rounds, and the team we consulted was outside the patient room too.  The resident who is a friend of mine ordered a therapy they thought was indicated.  I could see why they thought it was indicated but they had put in the order without me knowing and they hadn't asked anyone if it was safe.

The consultant heard about their ordered therapy and proceeded to absolutely roast this resident in front of the consult team, our team including the attending, and the patient's family member who was there.  Our supervising doctors didn't know about it until then and they failed to supervise.

It was brutal.  I felt demoralized with the collateral damage.  It's so unprofessional to act like that around so many people.  Who are you trying to impress with that kind of power trip?  Why not treat your colleagues like actual colleagues?

I get disappointed with medicine and the hierarchy and the "it's okay to disrespect other people because I'm higher than you" mentality.  sigh.


No comments:

Post a Comment