Tuesday, June 26, 2018

This feels like the longest I've gone without writing.  In some good news I feel slightly less anxious about the 24h or longer call shifts.  I think I might just be becoming desensitized and numb.  I started just pretending I'm an automaton doing all the tasks I'm told and not valuing being treated like a colleague or person.  Just a gear in the machine. 

Something else I noticed is that I hardly think about my family anymore.  Mostly because I just never see them and it hurts missing them.

I wonder if things really will get better. 

3 comments:

  1. Is this your last year of residency? What follows? Fellowship or in practice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know it will get better. The finish line is in sight. I began writing to my little girl and began writing things I didn't want her to know. I got listed at Stanford and ready to be listed at Ceders.

    I recently spoke to a friend who is a lovely female cardiologist. Think of the shit you have to deal with. Then, imagine a beautiful woman, intelligent and driven. A woman who was just as good as the other fellows, but being sexually demeaned. Now I look at these women attending doctors and I really have to look up to them. I know you can do it

    ReplyDelete