Monday, August 15, 2016

How I Handle Bad Days in Medicine

Get ready to have a lot of bad days in medicine for different reasons.

Usually I cope with things by:

1.  Candy.  Usually gummy bears, sometimes Smarties.  It's usually how I start coping after a rough day at work

2. Suppression.  I force myself to not think about what happened/what was said when it crosses my mind.  It'll happen to you

3.  Never hurts to have a beer or three in moderation

4.  Focusing on what I could've done better.  I've never caused an adverse outcome but there were always was I could've been more efficient and effective

5.  Talking to a friend in medicine.  They're more likely to understand you than anyone else.  

6.  Sleep.  Sometimes you nee d a break from consciousness

7.  PC games.  Mindless stuff helps sometimes

Medicine is rough and the people you work with can grind you and your self esteem down.  A good support network is key

No comments:

Post a Comment