Saturday, July 2, 2016

is this the best way to study during residency?

I ask myself that question a lot.  Lately I've been trying to speed-read because I know time is limited until my next exams and I'll be tired and overworked.

My theory is if I read quickly, I'll cover the material more and more times via repetition and it'll solidify.  So far that isn't working so I'm trying to make flash cards online.

The benefits of flash cards so far is that they're portable on whatever device you have, and you are reading the material actively as you're making your cards.  You can get as much repetition that way as you want and you actively test your recall. 

Recall was one of the biggest issues in medical school.  You're flooded with knowledge and you foolishly think you'll remember facts just because they're familiar when you're reading over them again, and then can't remember them for the exam.

It's all about what you find most "fun" and what method you excel with the most.  I have to remember so many details like half-lives, elimination, time of duration, doses, etc and I think flashcards are the best for me.  It helped me all through medical school, so I think it's worth a shot.  I'll let you know how it works

No comments:

Post a Comment