Friday, November 7, 2014

A breath of air in med school

I've hit the point in med school where I have managed to have a few days off and relax.  4th year is really great, but the days that I have been working were not too bad as compared to when I was just starting my rotations. 

I am really fortunate to have been interviewing for residency and I have had all great experiences so far, even though I do feel a little nervous the night before the flight when I'm packing.  It's just natural, I guess.

Anyway, I feel like I can finally breathe and relax, especially after Step 2, working so hard to get all my recommendation letters in, and working on demanding rotations.  I'm fortunate I am happy with my scores and evals and grades and can relax.  I think medical training is a lot like swimming underwater: pretty competitive and you're constantly working hard and placing all kinds of demands on yourself and it is all pretty intense until you get a break and can surface for air, as short as the break might be.

Cherish every single minute of free time you have, when you can breathe in the crisp autumn air and not have a worry or concern in your mind. 

Med school is a place where you unfortunately have to keep making sacrifices until your good score comes back.  The hard work pays off, but try your best not to burn out in the process.

I'll be writing more and more, likely when I'm waiting for a flight or this or that, but I haven't forgotten about you guys.

Thank you for reading my blog and let me know if you have any questions

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for a terrific blog. It's very helpful, I know! I have a question for you. Would you be available to read a short book manuscript about a woman's experience in medical school? She has gotten reviews from friends but needs some non-biased comments. Perhaps you could take the book along on one of your flights for interviews. Good luck, by the way! And thank you! Barbara, editor

    ReplyDelete