Thursday, October 2, 2014

super important residency topic

So we're all going to be interviewing.  One of the most important things besides how you'll fit into a program and their residents is how involved and supportive the program director is.  I heard some stories lately about residents getting fired, so I wanted to write a bit on this.

You know you can get fired during residency, right?  Everyone will tell you residency is a stressful time and there's the constant fear of screwing up and hurting/killing a patient.  Just because you're a resident doesn't mean you're under some kind of special protection.  You can get fired and also sued as a resident.

So you need to find a program that teaches you a lot, makes you a great clinician, and has faculty that will train you with supervision and have your back.

One of my biggest anxieties about residency is how everything I do will count, in one way or another. As a med student, it's fine if I give an incorrect answer, but I'm pretty sure every order I write as a resident is going to be scrutinized whether or not it leads to a mistake.

A lot of older physicians will tell you stories about their mistakes and how they got burned pretty badly.  You see the effects of those events still weighing on them heavily, especially in how they obsess about a creatinine level or whether all drug allergies have been reviewed three times.

Find a program where residents are respected, mentored, and the faculty is passionate about teaching and patient safety.

I'm going to try to relax now

No comments:

Post a Comment