Saturday, November 16, 2013

So long, OB!

I can't even describe how happy I am to be done with my obstetrics rotation.   Those hours were awful and I couldn't handle another day of being covered in blood, bleeding placentas,and stressed  hospital workers.

Deliveries were pretty cool but when you've been awake for 20 hours and the baby finally comes out but instead of sleeping you have to repair a perineal tear, you get worn out fast.  I've never really enjoyed cervical lacerations nor getting sprayed with fluids/semisolids originating from the pelvic area, so I'm happy to be done with OB.

GYN will be okay, I saw a ton of it on my family medicine rotation and I actually feel comfortable with it.   All my family medicine gyn patients really enjoyed that I took care of them, so I think gyn as a guy is only awkward if you make it that way.

Sometimes women don't want a male student or resident or attending to see them, and that's okay.   You can't pick your genes.  

Anyway, I'm so happy to have survived obstetrics.   Torn vaginas, hours of labour, having a hard time fitting in because I'm not female, and overhearing the residents talk loudly about their IUDs is behind me.  Let the celebration begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment